Friday, April 25, 2008

Call from the Doctor

This week has been extremely busy, both at work and at home. Jess has been enjoying his time off, playing golf whenever it's been nice outside. Work has been extra busy this week because I am planning for a 2 day trip to Tempe, AZ on Monday and Tuesday. I am headed out to our AZ headquarters to teach a life insurance training class for our West Coast financial advisors.

On Tuesday, we went to St. Lukes Hospital for a tour of the hospital and maternity suites. The location of the hospital is perfect - it's directly in between our house and my work (about 5 mi. from each). It's also within a few miles of Jess's school. We were both impressed with the rooms and the staff in the hospital, making us happy we have chosen St. Lukes. My ObGyn delivers at 3 area hospitals, so we had our choice. We chose St. Lukes based on some referrals of friends and coworkers and the pediatrician that we have chosen is also on staff there. Our pediatrician also runs his own practice about 4 miles from our house.

On Thursday, I had to take a gestational diabetes test and get blood drawn. This wasn't a big deal for me because by now I'm used to be poked and prodded. The Dr. told me that she would call right away if the blood work came back positive, but otherwise assume that no news is good news. So imagine my surprise when she called today and left a message saying, "Call me when you get a chance, it's about your blood work". I was scared to death when I called, but she calmed my fears right away by saying "good news is that your not diabetic, bad news is your slightly anemic". After talking to her a while, I realized this just entailed taking an additional iron supplement pill and that it posed no harm to the baby to date. So that was a major relief. Of course, Jess and I researched the situation after getting the news and it sounds like even if I am slightly anemic, the baby is getting all of his nutrients, it's just that I may not be. So that's what the supplement is for. If I was anemic through the 1st & 2nd trimesters then occasionally this can cause lower than normal birth weight and/or pre-term labor. But the baby is measuring quite nicely and my Dr. doesn't seem to be too worried about it.

Here is a recent picture of Jess and I while visiting his mom and dad's last weekend. Thought you might enjoy it! P.S. See last post for new pictures.















Photobucket

No comments: