I was afraid to post on this too soon.... for fear that I would jinx it. Jack has been sleeping through the night for the past 3 weeks. Hooray for us (and him)! I have come to realize that I really didn't know how sleep deprived I was until he began sleeping through the night - I don't know how I did it.
I realize that some parents are lucky and their child starts sleeping through the night as early as 1 or 2 months; we were not that fortunate. Jack liked to sleep for 4-5 hours, then wake to eat, then sleep another 2, eat, sleep another 2, then get up for the day. That was our routine for about 3 1/2 months. Then at about 4 months, he would only get up once a night.
On Dec. 31 we moved him to his own room and bed. I guess I was just naive before and was hesitant to move him to his own room... thinking he must sleep better in his pack n play next to mom and dad - not true. He did great in his own bed and Jess and I slept better too. We also started the technique where we let him cry a little bit before going in to console him. This worked so well that after a week or so, he wasn't even getting up once - he started sleeping a full 10 hrs through the night. And he's continued since! He has also turned into a belly sleeper. Everytime I put him down on his back, he immediately turns onto his belly. A part of me thinks maybe I should have tried that technique sooner - but all the books say wait until they are at least 5-6 months.
He stil cries out every now and then in the middle of the night. But it never lasts more than a minute or two and then he goes back to sleep on his own. We are also putting him down awake during the day for naps. He fusses a bit, but then goes to sleep on his own and takes good 1-2 hour naps.
Below are a few pictures of Jack in his crib. The one downfall of the new bed - Jack has a lot of room in it, but he always manages to scoot off in one corner or poke his arm or leg through the slats and get it stuck. Here's a picture of the little "scooter" in action. (We took the bumpers out once he started rolling over like this).


1 comment:
Its funny how once you get to sleep the whole night you wonder how you ever got up in the night to feed. You are lucky because Mere didn't sleep 10 hours until she was about 9 1/2 months. That was when the pediatrician said to put about five pacis in her crib and let her find one. Two nights of doing that and now she sleeps through. Why we didn't try it sooner I don't know??
Congrats on a full nights rest!!
Post a Comment