Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Jackson Thomas Brower Turns One!


One year (and a half) into our marriage, Jess and I got pregnant. Less than one year later, Jackson Thomas Brower was born. That brings us to today, one year after Jackson's birth…………… My baby is 1 years old!




We celebrated Jack's 1st Birthday, with friends and family this past weekend. We were home to celebrate Brock Higgins and Lacey Showalter's wedding (Brock is one of Jess's best friends and Jess was best man an I've know Lacey for a long time and we played sports together all through high school) so it was a pretty special event..


We also got to visit the Mullis twins for the first time. Josh and Liz Mullis, good friends of ours, had their twin boys last week, Jaxon and Braxton Mullis. They are still in the hospital due to their small size (about 4 and 5 lbs), but they are doing just fine and expect to be home soon. We saw them from a distance, not wanting to take Jack around them, but I can't wait to hold them and see them again… so cute!

We had Jack's party at my mom and dad's house out on the deck. It was a beautiful day to be outside. Jack was sleeping while everyone arrived. I had to wake him up after we all ate cake and ice cream. Luckily, he woke up in a good mood and we opened gifts. He did pretty well, but wasn't that interested in opening the gifts. Cousins, Kennedy and Kylie helped out a bunch. Jack just wanted to crawl around on the deck. He received some wonderful new play and learning toys and a good start towards his college education. Living away from home these past 3 years, has made us more thankful than ever for our close family and friends. We really do appreciate each and every one of you.

Here are some pictures of Jack enjoying his day. Thanks to my cousin Brandy for being the "official" photographer.







My good friend Brittany also took a few 1-year pictures of Jack while we were home this weekend. You can view them by going to her site: http://beanphotography.zenfolio.com/p929283407


All in all, Jack received many gifts. There is just one more that I want to give to him. I thought I would document this special day in a letter to my baby boy.


A letter to Jack from Mom and Dad:

Jackson Thomas Brower – today is your 1st birthday. I will follow a tradition that your Grandpa Joe started. Every year on my birthday, your Grandpa Joe would start off the day by recalling the day I was born and the events of that lead up to that, remembering how special it was. Your dad and I want to continue that tradition with you.

Your dad and I remember the day you were born, just like it was yesterday. On Monday, July 28, I went to the OBGYN for a Dr's visit. Your Grandma Susie drove over to attend the appointment with me (thinking the appointment would send me into labor). It didn't (that day). She went ahead and stayed Tuesday with plans to return to Indiana early Wednesday morning. On Tuesday, July 29, I worked a full day and returned home to your Grandma Susie cooking a big meal of steak, fresh vegetables, and homemade peach pie (all from your Great Grandma Williams' farm/garden). It was delicious and I ate it all, but my stomach was acting up. As the night went on, I realized that this was the beginning of my contractions. By 3:30 A.M., the contractions were 3 minutes apart and I woke up your Grandma Susie and your dad and we headed to the hospital. You were born at 9:56 A.M. a perfect, healthy, chunky little boy! Your Grandma Susie had a front row seat to the action and she recorded the events of the morning in a diary I will share with you some day.

How you've grown this last year! You are talking, almost walking, mostly crawling, eating solid food, sleeping like a big boy, and developing such a little personality. You love to cuddle – especially with mommy. Even your babysitter Lila said that of all the boys and girls she has watched over 30 years, you are the sweetest and the biggest cuddler. You love to be chased – you like to coax your dad and I into chasing you through the house and you love to be caught! We tickle you and you just giggle and giggle. You love to climb. You like to climb from the couch to the armchair, to the loveseat and back again. You have recently started pouting. When we tell you "no", you hang your head or even put your head on the ground and cry (a fake cry) until we distract you or your attention is diverted elsewhere. You especially love to get into the cabinets - in the kitchen cabinets, bathroom cabinets and the desk drawers. You love playing catch and throwing a ball back and forth. This is a favorite toy of yours right now.

You have the bluest eyes, longest eyelashes and cutest dimples - all traits that your father gave to you. I think you have my smile (if you're laughing really hard – I can even see the crooked smile that I had when I was younger) and you look a lot like your Uncle Graham did when he was your age. You have big feet and hands. Your feet are so big and puffy on top that I can't even put shoes on your feet most of the time. Your hands are so big that you can grip a softball.

You have eight teeth and are currently teething again right now. Your favorite foods depend on the day. Sometimes you like grapes, sometimes watermelon, sometimes strawberries. You almost always love vegetables – carrots, mashed potatoes, peas, green beans, black beans, any beans.

We love you more than we could have ever imagined loving another person. You make us laugh; you make us smile; you have made us cry; but in the end - you make us proud to be your parents.



Photobucketaka Mommy

7 comments:

Ali Gish said...

Happy Birthday Jack!! Love the post Tara!

Brittany said...

I love the letter you wrote to Jack. He is going to really appreciate that one day! Happy 1st Birthday little guy!!

Anonymous said...

Tara, I can't beleive Jack is already turning one.. It just seems like yesterday I remember reading your blog and he was just born.. All the babies will not be babies much long..:( they grow so fast...

Jessie said...

How sweet! Jack has a wonderful mommy & daddy, and a very bright future ahead of him. Happy Birthday, Jack!!

Unknown said...

I love those miniature lounge chairs. Man, I wish they had those when I was a kid!

Courtney, Jeff, Ayla & Leah said...

Yay Happy Bday

Jen said...

Time flies. Happy Birthday to Jack!