Sunday, July 31, 2011

Jack Turns 3!


My how the days/weeks/years fly by! Jackson Thomas Brower turned 3 years old yesterday. It felt like a weekend-long event, but I didn't mind at all, because it celebrated the life of my only (for now) and first born child. Jess and I both mark his birth as the happiest moment in our lives to date.


I plan to carry on my dad's tradition.... so on the morning of his birthday, I proceeded to tell Jack the story of his birth, what happened that day (before, during and after) and what a monumental moment that was in our lives. I'm sure he doesn't fully understand it, but when I am still telling him the same story 20 years later, I know it will mean something.... because it still does to me.

We celebrated with dinner at my parents the night before and then a big family party at our house the night of his birthday. We had a great crowd, great family, great friends, great food and most importantly a great time.



So excited about his new toys.... even when it was bedtime. Here he is riding a small fourwheeler... silly boy!

The morning of his birthday, Jess and I gave him our gifts. A movie and this fun toy. He wanted a Handy-Crane........we searched and searched and searched.... with no luck. For those of you whose kids are also obsessed with Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, you know what handy-cranes are. For those of you who aren't lucky enough to watch it at least twice a day, don't bother searching for what one is, because you won't find it. So this toy was our attempt at a Handy-Crane.



The big party. We barely fit in our house. Thank goodness the basement is finished, so we didn't have to brave the heat!



Plenty of Jack's friends were on hand to help him open presents and then play with them later.


Picture of the dessert table. Jack requested a John Deere Tractor cake. I was prepared to make it when I found this "gift from God" in the deli section at Walmart. I tried to keep things simple this year.... but when you are hosting and feeding 40 people, nothing is simple! Thanks to our parents who helped out a bunch!

After the entire day had passed us by, I realized we didn't have one family photo on his 3rd birthday. So this is my attempt to keep by journals "honest". Here we are - in our bed clothes (yes, I am wearing a "moo moo dress" and yes, it is very comfortable with only 4 weeks left to go in this pregnancy).



After a wonderful day and late night of cleaning up. I was exhausted (and Jack too). We slept in, but still went to church Sunday, all took 2 hour naps and played with his toys and watched movies all day today. I am ready for a break from the heat, but also thankful for the time indoors spent with my birthday boy.

Jack, you bring your dad and I so much joy. Sure, there are frustrating times too.... like when you don't get your way and cross your arms and say "I never get to do/eat/get that", or when you won't sit still long enough to eat an entire meal at the table, or when you want to watch "just one more" episode of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse for the day. But the joys are far greater in number and scale, you make our lives complete and fill a hole in our hearts we didn't even know we had before you arrived. Happy Birthday little boy!


Photobucket

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Jack! I love that tradition of telling the birth story. It looks like he had a super-fun party. Take care, Tara!