Monday, October 3, 2011

Brotherly Love and Funny Stories

We recently got Nolan's birth announcements out to some friends and family. If for some reason I happened to miss you, here it is! My brother Graham took this picture of Nolan just a few days after he was born. His eyes have turned more blue and his little face his filled out even more.

This is one of the only outfits I actually purchased for Nolan. Poor guy, since he was born in the same season as Jack, he gets a lot of hand-me-downs. I try to find ways to make his clothing and other items special, but it really is such a blessing having two little boys that can share so much as they grow older.


Here are few pictures just dedicated to the Big Brother. We attended the homecoming parade and Jack just loved all the candy. He got especially spoiled since the Homecoming parade and the CarFest were back to back. Luckily, he's since forgotten about all the candy that is stored in our cabinets.



He was fascinated at all the action.


We have been trying to do some extra special things with Jack lately to show him life isn't just about Baby Nolan. My parents and Jess's parents have been great with this too.... picking him up from the babysitters and taking him for ice cream or to ride the four-wheeler or go to Grandma's house or pick out pumpkins. Jack is adjusting well but I did catch him telling this story one night as Jess was putting him to bed..........

One evening, I wanted Jess to hold Nolan for a bit while I got a shower and had some time to myself. Jess gladly obliged and him and Nolan and Jack all hung out in the living room. Jack realized this meant that Daddy couldn't run and chase him and play with him like he usually does of an evening. So that night as Jess was putting Jack to bed, Jack said "Daddy, it's Mommy's job to hold Baby Nolan and your job is to play with me. That's the deal, remember?"

It was cute and sad at the same time. Those are the moments and comments that really give you insight into what is going on in their little minds.

Here is a picture of Jack playing on the playground at North Elementary.


One cool dog.


Nolan is having more periods of awake time. He absolutely will not sleep for any length of time unless he is swaddled tightly. The first two weeks were challenging, but after that we seem to have a pattern. He also likes to sleep cuddled up next to a warm body.


Our little man is growing fast, at his 3 week doctor appointment he was already up to 10 lbs and I know he has grown much more than that lately. His cheeks are filled out, he fills up 0-3 mo clothes, especially due to his length and is mostly wearing 3 mo sizes. He nurses constantly, and has since his birth.... this is one tired momma because of it. But I keep reminding myself that he must be growing! At 5 weeks old, he drinks about 3-4 ounces from a bottle (when we give him one) and has been taking 1 bottle/days since he was 3 1/2 weeks old. He doesn't have any problem switching from nursing to bottle (which was the opposite of his big brother) and he sleeps very well (for a newborn) at nighttime. At about 4 weeks old, he was only getting up 1-2 times per night. For example, if Nolan goes to sleep at 10:30 pm, he will wake up around 2, then nurse and back to sleep until 5 or 6 am, up again and back to sleep for a few hours. This has been wonderful, but it still doesn't deter me from taking a nap each afternoon if I can.


Jack loves loves loves loving on his baby brother. He is always wanting to hold him, kiss him, change a diaper, put a paci (and/or his finger) in his mouth, etc.


If I am allowed to have one complaint, it's that Jack is in his face too much. Don't get me wrong, i am thankful he loves his brother and is very affectionate, but here is a story and picture to illustrate my point. In this picture, I had put Nolan in his car seat ready to go to the store. Nolan was asleep when I put him in. Fast asleep. Jack asked me if he could "look at Nolan". I said yes, but in a stern voice I said "don't touch him". For many who know Jack, he's very kind hearted and sensitive and he teared up saying "but I just want to see him, I love him". Those are the comments that melt my heart. I watch as Jack proceeds to kiss Nolan, rub his cheeks and talk to him. Then Jack turns to me (with a surprised look on his face) and says "Mommy, he's waking up!" I hold my tongue, but inside my head I'm thinking "I wonder why.... if I had a 3 yr old screaming and touching my face, I wouldn't be able to sleep either".


Jack also tends to boss others around when it comes to holding his little brother. If Nolan starts crying when someone else is holding him, Jack will say "you're not holding him right" or "hold him the other way".


Here is a picture of my 3 boys at bedtime.


Nolan wrapped tightly and sleeping soundly.

One reason you don't see many pictures of me on here is 1) Jess doesn't grab the camera often and 2) I really don't want pictures of me nursing Nolan and that is what is going on 90% of the day. I do have a good story about nursing though and yes, it involves Jack.........

On the day I got home from the hospital, I was nursing Nolan in the living room. There are some questions from a 3 yr old that you just can't prepare for and this was one of them. "Mommy, why is Nolan biting your boobie?" I proceeded to tell Jack that Nolan wasn't biting that he was really nursing and that's how he gets his food. Some conversation ensued and Jack was satisfied with my answer, but then he asked "what is he eating?" I told Jack that babies drink milk when they nurse. Jack looked back at me with such excitement, like he'd just made a wonderful discovery and exclaimed "there's chocolate milk in there?"........ Oh my the laugh I got out of this since chocolate milk is Jack's favorite. I fought through the tears to say no chocolate milk and don't get any ideas!


Photobucket

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad things are going smoothly for you all! Thanks for sharing the stories and pics of your TWO awesome boys! Did that take getting used to - to say 'my kids' instead of 'my son?' I am sure you're just as natural of a mama this time around and parenting multiple kids like a pro. Take care, Tara!