Tuesday, June 30, 2009

11 Months & 3 Years




11 months has come and gone and soon Jack will be celebrating his 1st birthday. Jess and I find ourselves saying "he's such a big boy" "he's not a baby anymore" every single day. He's lost some of that baby look in his face, that new baby smell on his head, and that new baby 'chub' on his body.

We've done a lot of traveling this last month and through it all, Jack has been a trooper. He's been to Indiana several times and even to Chicago one weekend. His sleeping suffered slightly when we returned home, but slowly returned to normal. He got used to cuddling with me in the middle of the night or early morning when he'd wake in a strange bed away from home. But when he wakes, he wakes… ready to move, crawl, climb, throw his face in pillows, play with our cell phones and anything else on our dressers he can find.


He is solely on formula as of the beginning of the 11th month. I had been supplementing with formula since 10 months and slowly depleting my freezer supply of breastmilk. I gradually decreased my pumping at work, going from 3x/day, to 2x/day a few weeks later, then only 1x/day the week before we left for Chicago. I wasn't pumping very much at one time, only 4 oz total, so it just got to the point where it wasn't worth it. After Chicago, I completely stopped. Despite my worries, Jack didn't have any problem transitioning (he'd given up nursing long before – around 8 months).

I knew babies were active and that they get into everything but I don't think I quite understood what that meant until this last month. Jack loves to be in the kitchen while I am in there – opening all cabinet doors and pulling everything out. He especially loves the tupperware cabinet.


He loves to explore.... crawling behind the sofa, love seat and arm chair (he gets stuck most of hte time). He also spends a lot of time in my bathroom while I am getting ready in the morning. He loves to open the doors underneath the sink and dump all my curlers on the floor, then chew on them….yummy green plastic. He is eating more solid foods like cheese, potatoes, bits of carrot, peaches, strawberries, avocados, peeled blueberries and grapes along with his Gerber baby food at each meal. He still likes vegetables much better than fruits. He'll even spit whole fruits out or take them out of his mouth with his hand then proceed to drop them on the floor (all while smilingJ). For some reason he always lets out a cry when I put him in his high chair. We are down to 4 bottles a day and most of the time he takes 6 oz out of each bottle.

Changing diapers have become a chore. He wriggles and wriggles to get away and turn to his side and belly to start crawling away. It drives me nuts! It definitely takes 2 people! Bathtime is still a lot of fun and so is swimming in the pool. He likes both and splashes with both hands.

Swimming with Mom

Showering with Dad

I haven't weighed him in a month or so; I'll try and get around to that soon – but I know he's growing because that car seat is getting heavier and heavier. He's still in the carrier/pumpkin seat and probably will be for another month before we switch to another. It's just so convenient and he falls asleep so often in the car we love the fact we can just carry him in the house without waking him. His size 3 diapers are also getting too small. I can see his little butt crack hanging out of them from time to time.

He's starting to jibber jabber more and more. He'll talk to something just like I would; only I don't understand a word of what he's saying! Sometimes I will even ask him questions as he's talking and he will say something just like he's answering me…. And maybe he is! His words are a lot of the same as last month. He'll say ba ba ba for bottle, dad, mom (only when upset or hungry), bye bye, and ball.

Balls are a favorite toy, along with cell phones, books, his pooh bear, bathtime finger puppet, new wiffle bat and ball, rocking chair and any pillow he can throw his face in!



We’re always sad when the next month comes and passes, but so happy to see all his new developments and personality shining through. Next month will bring lots of FIRSTS. And we are looking forward to it!

On another VERY IMPORTANT note…. Jess and I will celebrate our 3rd anniversary tomorrow. We’ve been together for almost 10 years, but married for 3 and parents for 1. We celebrated this past weekend by going out to dinner while my dad and Graham babysat Jack. We went to our absolute favorite restaurant in all of St. Louis, Eleven Eleven Mississippi (also the address of the place). It’s been an amazing 3 years and I look forward to 100 more. Here are a few pictures of us then….. and now….


In the beginning

Our Wedding Day



Our Family Grew


Photobucket

3 comments:

Jessie said...

Awe it was sweet to see pics of your growing family! I cannot believe that Jack is almost a year old! Time flies. He is such a cutie with those big bright eyes. Congrats on your anniversary!

Abbie said...

The address for my house in Washington is 405 E 400 S. If you know where the Thompson Insurance guy lives (big white house with huge windows) our house is two houses down from that on the same side of the road. :)

Leah Robinson said...

Happy Anniversary!