Saturday, January 21, 2012

Happenings....

There have been many happenings since my last Christmas post many weeks ago.

Nolan is approaching 5 months and here is what he is up to....

-Smiling, a lot! He is such a happy baby, cooing, talking, belly laughing and constantly watching
his big brother and everything around him. He is smiling so big that you can see his teeth that have come through.... yes, I said teeth. The first one popped through at 4 months and 1 week, and the second came through today. They are the bottom front two. He likes to chop down on a finger or teething toy and rarely (but it has happened) on the mom who gives him nourishment. He's bound to learn a curse word or two if he keeps that up!



-Grabbing toys in front of his face. He started doing this at 4 months as well.

-NOT taking a pacifier. I have tried with both my boys, but no luck. Sometimes this mom needs a break!

-NOT sleeping through the night. Jack was never a good sleeper (still isn't some nights), but Nolan is worse. What makes it so adorable is that he is a happy baby while he is awake and when he does wake in the middle of the night, he just wants to nurse and go right back to bed - but it's still hard on this momma. Most nights he is waking 3 times, but last night (due to teething, I think) it was 5 times - rough!

-Reaching for his toes.... this just started this week and it will entertain him for several minutes.

-Choking himself with the fingers he sticks in his mouth. I feel bad for him, but it's funny at the same time.

-Approximately 6 wet diapers a day and probably only 1 dirty. These have lessened in the last few weeks. For the first 3 months it seemed as if ever diaper was dirty!

-Likes belly time. He will stay in this position for about 15 minutes on a good day, but has learned to rollover from his belly to his back at 4 months 2 weeks. Still not able to roll from back to belly.

After a successful roll!


-Likes to be swaddled (still). We have done this since birth and he sleeps best and feels most secure when he is wrapped tight.

-Ate first cereal (about 1 Tbsp) at 4 months. We don't do this every night but possibly 3 times a week. I can't tell that it helps him sleep any more at night than usual (and that is the reason I started using it).

-Eats approx. 3 oz while nursing or bottle. I seem to remember that Jack took more, but Nolan looks and acts healthy, so I guess that's all he needs.

-Loves his new babysitters, Lydia (with daughter Monica) and Sharon. They love on him and treat Nolan and Jack as if they were their own. We are very lucky!


Jack has been a great big brother, but things have also changed with him since Nolan was born.


-He is a little more "needy" which is somewhat expected. Occasionally says "hold me" and wants to be held like a baby.

-He went back to waking up once at night and/or needing someone to help him fall asleep at night. This has become Jess's job since I am usually with Nolan at this time (and mostly during the nighttime feedings).

-Acting out a bit more, but that was mostly in the first 2 months. He has since settled down quite a bit.

-Not eating well lately. Since he was really sick back in mid-December, he just never seemed to get his full appetite back. And when he does have it, it seems like he wants to eat mostly JUNK! He gets his sweet tooth from me, but not the "junk tooth".

-He has become best buddies with his dad. Sometimes I am a little jealous, but I am proud of the bond they share. Just the other day I caught him saying "Daddy, we are best friends, right? You are Mater and I am Lightning McQueen". It was the sweetest. He is a very affectionate child and it is a special moment when that affection comes through in words. For example, as I was putting him to bed one night we were talking about monsters and he leaned over to me, put his arm around me and said "Don't worry Mom, I will protect you. You are safe with me."



Photobucket

2 comments:

Whitney said...

Such sweet moments! It cracks me up how Jack and Nolan don't look alike! Super mom for nursing while Nolan has teeth! You rock!

Anonymous said...

Cute Cute Cute! Thanks for sharing the pics and stories. Glad things are going well for you all. I don't think Jack and Nolan look very much alike either. But in the bottom picture, from Christmas, Jack does look just like Jess and Nolan looks just like you! What a gorgeous family :-)